Disclaimer: Please be aware that this blog post may contain affiliate links and any purchases made through such links will result in a small commission for me (at no extra cost for you).
What is self-care and why is it important?
Self-care is about taking time to take care of yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally. This practice is important because it is intentionally carving out time to take care of yourself.
When you get on the plane and the flight attendants do the air mask instruction, they tell you to put the air mask on yourself first before everyone else. It’s the same concept with self-care. You need to take care of yourself first before taking care of everyone else.
Taking care of yourself doesn’t mean splurging on the latest handbag or iPhone (although it’s very tempting!). Self-care is taking care of your mind, body and spirit. It is like oiling your machine to perform to its highest potential. When you do practice self-care daily, you feel better, think clearly and have better relationship with others.
How I started with self-care
I’ve suffered from anxiety most of my life. Many times, I felt fear come out of nowhere or I started overthinking about certain things. I didn’t know how to handle it because I never discussed it with anybody. The anxiety was crippling my personal and professional life. I tried not to think about it that much because I didn’t know what else to do or how to fix it.
Two years ago, I started reading about the benefits of meditation. I decided to give it a go after seeing the Calm app on the App Store. I implemented meditation to my morning routine and turned to it whenever I felt anxiety creeping in. I saw a big difference mentally and emotionally. It has helped my anxiety in such an enormous way. I lost the anxious feelings I used to have and I was able to enjoy life more freely. I still practice meditation and it’s part of my self-care routine.
This act of self-care has led to other practices. I go for a walk after a long day of work to reset my mind and relax my body. On Saturdays, my husband and I try to practice a no-work day. Since we both work from home, it’s easy for our work and personal life to mesh together. Saturdays are our day to have fun without thinking and worrying about work.
Self-care practices you can do today
1. Say no to events and activities that make you feel drained
2. Avoid toxic people
3. Spend an hour without your phone
4. Schedule time for yourself the next weekend (and then do it)
5. Read or listen to inspiring stories
6. Avoid anything that makes feel you stressed
7. Do something that makes you feel good
8. Go for a walk or exercise
9. Declutter your phone or mail
10. Spend a day without social media
11. Write down 10 things for which you’re grateful
12. Clean and put away dishes
13. Do laundry
14. Make your bed
15. Clean your living room
16. Spend time with someone you love
17. Go or watch a comedy show
18. Do an at home facial
19. Clear your mind and meditate
20. Take a bubble bath
Self-care is a practice you can do daily. It doesn’t have to be expensive and it can be done at home or anywhere. It is a habit that is important to keep yourself healthy mentally, emotionally, and physically. What is your go-to self-care practice?
Related blog posts:
- What is Self-care and How You Can Get Started Today
- 23 Self-Love Affirmations to Practice Daily
- 30 Journal Prompts for Self-Reflection